Tuesday, June 24, 2008

West Bank wall

On our second day in Israel we went to the West Bank barrier wall.

The wall was built in 2001 and is highly controversial because it is mainly built within the West Bank. In a 2004 decision, the International Court of Justice declared construction of the wall "contrary to international law." Since it is mainly in the West Bank many Palestinians are shut our from their property and family.



Over 26 feet tall.




Visiting Israel and Palestine was such an eye-opening experience. I was very fortunate to have the opportunity.

3 comments:

Kate Brotherson said...

wow, these pics put into perspective just how huge the wall is. I love all the posts and updates. keep them coming.

Mandy said...

I hate to admit how much I DON'T know about the middle east. I'm sure you are learning so much

meggan said...

Hey Ansel Adams, I think these are some of the artsy-est pictures you've ever taken. And as an art history major, I think I know what I'm talking about...

(side note: I'm completely aware of how inapplicable my degree is in everyday life, which is why I feel the need to throw it in wherever I can. Please do not mistake the above comment as unmannerly)